More than 2,000 additional winners of National Merit Scholarships financed by colleges and universities were announced by National Merit Scholarship Corporation this week. These Merit Scholar designees join .
Eight of the college-sponsored winners graduated from in Johns Creek, while one recipient graduated from . These winners include:
- Samuel Hong, Northview High School - Vanderbilt University
- Joshika S. Money, Northview High School - University of Georgia
- Uday Sachdeva, Northview High School - University of Georgia
- Kevin H. Sun, Johns Creek High School - University of Georgia
- Dhruv Tadavarthi, Northview High School - Georgia Tech
- Diana Jin Wang, Northview High School - University of Chicago
- Yannan J. Wang, Northview High School - Georgia Tech
- Sharon Liao Zhang, Northview High School - University of Chicago
- Youmei Zhou, Northview High School - Georgia Tech
Officials of each sponsor college selected their scholarship winners from among the finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program who will attend their institution. College-sponsored awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
This final group of winners brings the number of 2012 National Merit Scholars to approximately 8,100. These high school graduates will receive scholarships for undergraduate study worth a total of over $35 million. In addition to college-sponsored awards, two other types of National Merit Scholarships were offered — 2,500 National Merit® $2500 Scholarships, for which all finalists competed, for finalists who met criteria specified by their grantor organizations.