Monday was the first meeting of the newly invigorated Johns Creek City Council with Mayor Mike Bodker, Ivan Figueroa, Kelly Stewart, Brad Raffensperger, Lenny Zaprowski, and Cori Davenport. Family members and a packed city hall shared with pride the swearing in of the new and re-elected council members. I would like to congratulate the election winners and all the council members as we embark on this new era in city government.
The City Council tackled several important issues including:
- electing Kelly Stewart as Mayor Pro-Tem,
- updating the Code of Ethics for freedom of speech of board members,
- taking steps to address the intersection at Nesbit Ferry and Brumbelow Road,
- bringing to an end the Mayoral investigation, and
- considering what to do with the additional Local Option Sales Tax revenues
The City Council members had open and frank discussions on each issue and were very courteous as they listened to each other. Each member behaved in a positive manner and appreciated the spirit of the others’ viewpoints even when they disagreed or had concerns about all the ramifications.
I was heartened by this meeting that our leaders will focus on the needs of the community. I look forward to a City Council that will more actively reach out to the community and have a greater interest in listening to citizen input.