Pike Nurseries, which provides fresh cut Christmas trees from the North Carolina Mountains, provides these tips to select the perfect tree and keep if fresh and festive throughout the season:
Christmas Tree Care and Decoration Tips:
• Look for a healthy green color. Run your hand along the branch of a tree to check for needles that hold fast and are flexible – not stiff and brittle.
• Make a fresh cut along the bottom of the trunk. Prior to loading, Pike Nurseries does this for you for free to guarantee that the tree will absorb more water.
• Use a tree stand that holds at least one gallon of water. Keep a watchful eye and never let the water level drop below the bottom of the trunk, or the tree will not be able to absorb water.
• Keep away from direct heat sources to prevent drying and fire hazards. Practice safety around holiday favorites such as candles, fireplaces, wood stoves or heating vents.
• Add depth to your tree. Go heavy on Christmas lights and zig-zag them from front to back as you work through each layer of branches. Another trick is to stagger ornaments at different depths on the branches.
• Choose a festival color pallet. For a professional looking tree, use a color pallet that includes two or three colors, and play with different shades of those colors.
• Fill in holes and bare spots. Play with sprigs of berries or silk flowers for added texture and color to create a fuller looking tree.
Pike Nurseries has two locations in Johns Creek: 5975 State Bridge Road and 2955 Holcomb Bridge Road.