Have Yourself an Eco-Friendly Holiday
Johns Creek offers some green ways to celebrate the season.
Do you know how easy it is to celebrate this time of the year with an eco-conscious heart and mind? It's truly a win-win situation when you "double give" a gift. You can not only give someone a thoughtful present but also help out a charity, local library and/or our planet.
Here's a simple list of how to go green for the holidays and how many places here in Johns Creek can help out with this.
- Books: When searching for special and thoughtful gifts for children and adults who enjoy a good book, look no further than the Ocee or Spruill library branches. Both have Friends Book Carts where you can purchase gently used books for the whole family. Or check out the inventory at The Hope Store, Once and Again Books or Goodwill.
- Decorations and gifts: Johns Creek has a number of consignment and thrift shops such as the Finer Consigner, Jazzy Junque, Emily's Closet, The Hope Store and Goodwill where you can find gently and sometimes even new treasures including tree decorations and ornaments. Just browsing through will ignite ideas.
Recycle your tree:
- Recycled live trees can be used for mulch for gardens or parks. You can bring your live tree to Bring One For the Chipper hosted by Keep North Fulton Beautiful at the Johns Creek Home Depot, 5950 State Bridge Road, on Jan. 8.
- Keep it: By keeping a potted tree outside it will last longer or you can plant it to admire always.
Rent a tree:
- Check out The Rental Place where you can not only rent a tree but also party goods.
- If most of us (OK, all of us) used LED lights to decorate it would have a significant impact on the environment.
- You can make your own cards and decorations and use materials that are made from recycled paper and eco-friendly inks.